Sunday, April 27, 2014

More of Shenandoah NP

Smokin!!!
April 20, 2014

Leaving Waynesboro I got a hitch from a guy that had done the PCT back in the 80's with a few mules and a few friends. He said they would go out for a month at a time and he spent something like $70 for the entire trip!
Shenandoah NP was nothing to write home about (but I am writing home). The trail didn't have many good views so every once in a while we had to do some much more scenic road walking on the scenic drive that parallels the AT. There were some cold nights on the way to the town of Fort Royal where a previous thru hiker from 2001, Tatsuya (talks to ya), picked us up at the grocery store and took us to a bar that Johnny cash used to play, and called, "The roughest toughest bar he has ever been too." We got a pitcher and enjoyed a cigarette inside!!! Only in VA and every other country in the world can you smoke inside.
From there he took us to a nice restaurant across the way where we shared a cheese platter, a good beer, a great meal, and topped it all off with an espresso and fancy dessert. I can't remember the name of this place though and it's not on google maps.
After he dropped us off at the trailhead, Big Hungry chowed down on some grass like a cow (she ate too much chicken in town) and had a good long drink from the crik. (I was having such a good time with Tatsuya I forgot to give her some water in town.) After a couple minutes she was back to her normal self of running circles around me and keeping an eye out for dangerous animals; squirrels, bears, deer, The Grinch, and of course rats and mice around shelters.
Last night I stayed at Bears Den Hostel (Bluemont, VA), a cool mansion type place that has a hiker room with bunks and a great lawn for camping.
As I am coming up on the halfway point, Harpers Ferry, WV, I decided to slow down and take some easy days. There is supposed to be some rain coming, too, so I'll be doing about 7-10 mile days and 100-200 pages inside my warm bag in a shelter.
Welcome to West Virgina!!!

VA Bluebells
 

Ravens Rock, WV


http://www.bearsdencenter.org/

1 comment:

  1. What a nice guy to run into! I was once in Harper's Ferry. I just checked to see what I had about it in my notes, but NO NOTES! Anyway, I remember a spot where you could stand with your feet in two or three different states at the same time. And I remember it being a lovely little historical town. Tell us all about it when you get there.
    Auntie Carole

    ReplyDelete