Friday, July 4, 2014

Maine, Part 1 on the AT

Kennebuc River


4th of July, 2014!
Monson, ME with Monsoonish weather

Maine started out with leaving the amazing White Mountain Hostel in Gorham, NH. (This and the Hikers Inn in Damascus VA were the best hostels so far.)
The first part of Maine was nice and hot and muggy buggy with plenty of climbing. It seems like all I was doing was going straight up or straight down. My knees had never felt worse. The views were good though, and there are plenty of lakes off in the distance. (What they call ponds out here are actually lakes, in my opinion.) After a lot of up and down and a little rain mixed in, I got to Caratunk, ME and had a Wolf Burger which was amazing!!! Besides for the thought that it might have given me a little food poisoning, it was amazing. A few other hikers weren't feeling good after that town and burger too. Those next two days, while feeling sick, were a grind. Every hill seemed endless and I had trouble staying hydrated. It's hard to stay hydrated in the first place with how humid and hot it is combined with the hiking, but with the food bug on top of that I was taking breaks and chugging liters like a thirsty camel.
I'm nearing the last section, the 100 mile wilderness. Almost there!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment