Saturday, January 25, 2014

Arches NP, Canyonlands NP, Moab, Goosenecks State Park, and Mesa Verde NP

                                                                          Doug at Arches long ago...
Jan 22, 2014 
It's been a bit of time, so I might be forgetting a few things here and there about my travels.
...Arches NP was a good drive. Then I hung out till it got dark and did a night hike under the light of the moon.
...Next, was Canyonlands, Part One, which was the north section of the north, east, and west sections of the park. There wasn't much to hike and I knew I had some good hiking ahead of me in the east section.
...I was getting kinda stinky and there was a dog friendly Motel 6 in Moab, UT, so I had a good long shower and for some reason my body decided to feel sick that night. But, oh well, at least I was in a motel.
...The east part of Canyonlands, called the Needles, was the best part of the trip so far. I did the hike to the Confluence of the Green River and the Colorado River. The rivers weren't flowing that fast. It actually looked like they were going backwards! So I didn't get to see the cool Confluence of the rivers.
...The next day I got up early and hiked in what must be "The Needles" because there sure were a lot of needle-like rocks. Very cool. I definitely suggest if you are in Utah and only want to do one hike, do that area. There's a bunch of zigzagging trails though, so bring a compass, or a dog that can smell her way back to the car! I love my doggy!!!
...I realized I should see Mesa Verde NP in Colorado. It needed to be done now or never, so I took the long drive. Most of it was shut down, but the two visitor centers had a lot of information and took half of my day anyway. The hikes were very short and straight to the point, the point being ruins of the Ancestral Pueblo people who built them.
...After realizing I have been doing a lot of driving, I'm at Goosenecks State Park and plan on taking it easy on the driving tomorrow. I met a local that told me about a ruin that's not on the map, so I'll see if I can find it tomorrow. He pointed and said, "Ya, it's about that way, near that Mesa."
So...

http://www.mesaverde.org/
http://www.utah.com/stateparks/goosenecks.htm
http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/needles.htm
 

No comments:

Post a Comment