Sunday, February 2, 2014

Grand Canyon NP, Sedona, and Tucson for Superbowl Sunday!!!

Grand Canyon
End of January 2014
So... I had heard about a dog that got baited in by some coyotes. The coyotes do the old, "Hey, come hang out with us." Then, when the doggy thinks it has some new friends, the coyotes see a tasty doggy meal. Good thing for the guy that I met, his dog was a hulking 100 lb pit bull, and instead of  one dead dog, there was a pile of dead coyotes. I say this because I was in my tent near the Grand Canyon and I had heard coyotes around. Then, just when it got dark, I heard a whimper, and it definitely was a Hey, come play with us!, and Bella wanted to go meet the friendly coyotes. Not to scare you or anything, she stayed in the tent. So I gave them the old crazy man in a tent yelling, barking, maybe even a few F bombs, then I heard the pack go off hooting and hollering. They're not getting my baby Bella!!!
Anyways, the Grand Canyon was great, of course. And GCNP allow dogs on leash so I got some quality walks along the rim. There was a group of some sort of elk on the path and some people looking at them and throwing them snacks. What idiots. So I plowed through once I saw that and really wanted Bella to start barking at them (the deer and the people). This was like downtown Grand Canyon. Sorry about the negativity, but that really grinds my gears. And I've seen a few people feeding the crows at previous National Parks. Ahhhh!!!
So, on to Sedona. I stayed there for longer than I thought I would. What an amazing town. There was good free camping outside the city with tons of fellow cheap travelers. Also the trails they have are endless. My National Park pass covered the parking fee so I got in plenty of day hikes and had some time to cook up some quality meals. Town food seemed expensive so I went with eating well by cooking. In honor of accidentally backing over my stove and getting a cheap-o two burner Walmart stove, I made some high quality breakfast burritos, burgers, delicious sandwiches, and even grilled up a fairly large and juicy salmon.
Now I'm on my way to Tucson where I'll stay at my friend Brendan's home, along with his growing family, for a night or two (Super Bowl Sunday). On the way there, one night I stayed at some place, somewhere, then the next night was at some other place somewhere else. It was nice though, wherever I was. Very deserty with a picture perfect cacti and a few ruins to eat up the day. One trail was way off in the cuts (way out in the middle of nowhere), so I took a long walk, not on trail, and ended up finding the trail eventually. It wasn't much but there was some cool pottery shards and obsidian flakes. No significant archaeological finds though. Much needed shower and laundry coming tomorrow and it'll be nice to see some friendly faces. It'll be great to watch the Super Bowl, even though I don't care who wins. However, in my opinion, both those teams (states) are winners.

http://www.nps.gov/grca/index.htm Grand Canyon NP

Celica, Bella, and Long Tall Moi

Watch out for Elk!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment