Sunday, March 9, 2014

Bypassing the Great Smokey Mountains NP

BellaBigHungry
March 10, 2014
Just a quick update. The last 20 or so miles were great. On the way I decided it would be best for Big Hungry and me to skip the Great Smokey Mountains NP for a few reasons: No dogs allowed in NPs, didn't have a kennel for her, and it will be a lot easier to come back and hike in July when I'm finished. Also, I'll be able to take my time and do a complete circuit on the AT and another trail in GSMNP that will loop back and is apparently even nicer that the AT. I had a great day thanks to Shepard, who is a local in Tennessee and hiked the AT in 2000. He is a true AT addict and a great person to be around. He ended up meeting me on the trail and giving me a beer. We then went to the River's End Restaurant and had a meal, then he drove me the 80 or so miles around the Great Smokey Mountains to the north side of the NP and dropped me off at a hostel where I'm staying the night! Cool place too.
And thanks again Shepherd, and all the other cool AT trail angels!


 
http://www.nps.gov/grsm/index.htm Great Smokey Mountains NP

No comments:

Post a Comment