Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Zig Zagging through TN and NC on AT




 
March 14-17, 2014 
After the hitch around the Smoky Mountains, I seemed to run into a whole new group of folks. I've been hiking a lot with The Grinch from Boston area, and I've been seeing a bit of Figgy, someone who has had way too many name changes, 5-Star, Cannonball, Ipex, and a few more.
Hot Springs, NC was a cool town where the trail goes right through Main St. I stayed there 2 nights because the weather wasn't so great the second day. From there, The Grinch (he got his name by picking up a Grinch hat that was hanging off a bush on the trail and confirmed his name by turning a corner, spooking three little kids, and making them cry. Oh ya.) and I took off into the cold and frozen Appalachian Mountains. The miles that day were pretty cold and there was a good amount of snow on the ground, maybe an inch or so on the north side of the mountains. That night was spent at an AT shelter with 5-Star. (She got her name as she is a 5-Star chef, not only because I would imagine she is a great cook, but she carries a couple kitchen cabinets of fresh food and utensils and accessories.) From there we did another nice day and ran across Pan, Peter Pan that is. He has the green tights and even has the look of what I imagine Peter Pan would be. His routine is somewhat peculiar too, with the hiking sandals, a heavy amount of yoga and stretching pads (most hikers just talk about stretching and doing yoga but never actually do it, myself included), and the use of the alarm clock on a daily basis. I'll set my alarm clock to get to the 'All-You-Can-Eat' buffet before it closes, and that's about it. And then my favorite is the girl who keeps changing her name. I've seen her here and there for the past week or so, and I still can't remember her name because every time I remember it, she has a new one.
The trail is beautiful, fun, and whatnot, but the hiker crowd is where it's at. I'm having a great time with a great group of people.
    Appalachian View
                   Appalachian Mountains

No comments:

Post a Comment